Meet Coach Kile

Mr. Kile entered the Health, Safety, P.E., and Coaching fields after experiencing the affects cardiovascular disease had on his family. 

His parents suffered from heart disease at young ages. Father, Russ Sr. survived a major heart attack at age 39 and consequent multiple open heart surgeries, eventually passing away at the age of 56. Mr. Kile's mother also succumbed to complications resulting from cardiovascular disease.


His cousin, Darryl Kile was the first active Major League Baseball player to die during the regular season since 1979. It was determined during an autopsy that two of his major coronary arteries were blocked, leading to his premature death at the age of 33 in 2002.

Mr. Kile performed as a musician for more than 30 years, worked as a carpenter for 10 years, a certified personal trainer/cycling instructor for five years, has authored several books, created three provisional patents, owns several small businesses including one LLC, and earned several college degrees including an A.A., a B.S., and M.S. along with several post graduate credits in M.Ed., Ph.D., and Ed.D. programs. His education allowed him to impact thousands of student-athletes during a more than 23-year teaching career. Additionally, he coached nearly 2000 athletes in soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey during a more than 25-year career. Mr. Kile is certified by the State of Pennsylvania to teach PK-12 Health, Safety, and Physical Education, PK-12 Marketing Education, PK-12 Technology Education, 7-12 English, 7-12 Biology, and 7-12 Social Studies. 

In his leisure, Mr. Kile enjoys spending time with his wife and children, farming, timbering, practicing martial arts, riding road, gravel, and mountain bikes, open water swimming, running, triathlon, playing tennis, hiking, lifting weights, playing soccer, golfing, fishing, hunting, target shooting, writing/recording music, and home remodeling. 

His two daughters graduated from CSD in the top 12 of their classes and were both NCAA Division I college athletes. One was a captain and four-year starter for The Ohio State University Buckeyes Field Hockey Team and is currently an aircraft pilot in the United States Military. The other daughter attends Bucknell University on a full Patriot League Athletic Scholarship and plays for the Bison Field Hockey Team while majoring in environmental engineering. 

Mr. Kile plans to continue having a positive impact on the health and wellness of his students and athletes towards the end of his teaching and coaching careers at CSD.  

More about Darryl Kile and family history of heart disease:

BASEBALL; Darryl Kile, Cardinals Pitcher, Is Found Dead in Hotel Room

By Jodi Wilgoren With Murray Chass

  • June 23, 2002

Darryl Kile, a pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals who was scheduled to start in Sunday's game against the Chicago Cubs, was found dead this afternoon in his hotel room here, the authorities said. He was 33.

Major League Baseball mourned, and Commissioner Bud Selig postponed today's game at Wrigley Field. The cause of death remained unknown tonight, pending an autopsy Sunday morning, but baseball and police officials said that Kile died in his sleep and that there were no signs of foul play.

''He was a great competitor and a great leader on the club,'' Walt Jocketty, the Cardinals' general manager, said in a news conference at the stadium this afternoon. ''He loved to compete and loved to win.

''It's going to be tough to play for a while. We all have a job to do and will try to go on. That is what Darryl Kile would have wanted us to do.''

The shocking death came just a day after the funeral of the legendary broadcaster Jack Buck, the voice of the Cardinals, who died Tuesday at 77 of complications from lung cancer. Fans and players, already in mourning, were stunned to add such a young, vibrant man to their prayers.

Kile, who was in his second year of a three-year, $23 million contract with St. Louis, joined the majors in 1991. A right-hander, he was 5-4 in 14 starts this season, with a 3.72 earned run average. He won his last game on Tuesday, allowing six hits in seven and two-thirds innings to put the Cardinals in first place in the National League Central.

Jocketty said the team became worried about Kile when he failed to show up at the field a couple of hours before the scheduled 2:20 p.m. start, because he was typically among the first to arrive. They called the Westin Hotel on Michigan Avenue, where security officials had to force open the door on Kile's 11th-floor room because the latch was fastened.

Kile was found in bed, his eyes closed, officials said. ''We're calling it a death investigation,'' said Joann Taylor, a spokeswoman for the Chicago Police Department. ''I don't have any specifics about how, when, who.''

Joe Krause of the Cook County Medical Examiner's office said an investigator on the scene found no visible signs of trauma but would not rule out homicide. ''Until you open a person up, you don't know,'' he said.

Kile's father, David, died at age 44, shortly after having a stroke.

James Loomis, the assistant physician for the Cardinals, said that Kile had recovered fully from his off-season shoulder surgery and had no medical problems. Brad Hainje, a team spokesman, said Kile's last physical was in February.

Hainje said Kile declined teammates' invitations Friday night and instead had dinner with his brother, Danny, at Harry Caray's restaurant near downtown Chicago.

Grant DePorter, the restaurant's managing partner, said Kile ''was in great spirits.''

''He was great with all the fans who were running up to him,'' DePorter said. Danny Kile said his brother had not complained of any ailment, Jocketty said.

The first public sign of trouble came about 2:15 p.m., when an unexplained delay was announced to television viewers on Fox. The sold-out crowd at Wrigley Field was sweating through a hazy and humid afternoon when, about 20 minutes later, Joe Girardi, the Cubs' catcher and player representative, strode out of the dugout. The entire Cubs team stood behind him.

''We regret to inform you because of a tragedy in the Cardinal family that the commissioner has canceled the game today,'' Girardi announced, his voice quivering. ''Thank you. I ask that you say a prayer for the St. Louis Cardinals family.''

The scoreboard stayed fixed: ''Today's game is canceled.'' Scores of Cardinals fans lingered at Wrigley Field long after the somber announcement was made that the game would not be played.

''It's not often I'm speechless; it's unfathomable,'' said one fan, Mike Zey of Brentwood, Mo. ''I saw the players going on the bus. They looked like I feel: utter shock.''

Selig said in a statement: ''All of baseball mourns his passing.'' At many parks tonight, teams paid tribute to Kile. In Houston, his No. 57 jersey was hanging in the Astros' dugout in Minute Maid Park.

Today was the first time in memory that a game had been canceled because of a player's death on the same day. Thurman Munson, captain of the Yankees, was killed in a plane crash on Aug. 2, 1979, an off day; Lyman Bostock Jr., a California Angels outfielder, was killed in a drive-by shooting in Gary, Ind., on Sept. 23, 1978, after playing that day.

Mike Darr of the San Diego Padres was killed in a car crash in February on his way to spring training.

Kile, a three-time All Star who pitched a no-hitter for Houston against the Mets in 1993, is survived by his wife, Flynn; 5-year-old twins, Kannon, a boy, and Sierra, a girl; and a 10-month-old boy, Ryker. Hainje said that Flynn Kile was visiting her father in San Diego today; her children were with their grandparents in St. Louis.

''D. K. was a special player,'' said Don Baylor, the Cubs' manager, who coached Kile in Colorado. ''He never complained about the altitude. He was the perfect teammate, a family guy, a very special person.''

After winning 19 games with the Astros in 1997, Kile chose to join the Rockies and, like other pitchers, he suffered at Coors Field. He led the National League in losses with 17 in 1998, and over two years in Colorado he compiled a record of 21-30.

''Did I perform well? No,'' Kile said last year about his time in Colorado. But he refused to blame the notoriously tough field. ''I didn't pitch real well. You don't make good pitches, you're going to get hit.

''I didn't throw the ball well,'' he added. ''Every park is different. Every place you pitch has unique characteristics. You've got to learn to pitch well there.''

In 2000, his first season in St. Louis, Kile won 20 games. His career record was 133-119.

Fans, including many from St. Louis who had traveled nearly 300 miles to Chicago for the regional rivalry, sat subdued in the half-empty stands for an hour after the game's cancellation, shunning beer and hot dogs but unsure exactly what to do.

''You don't expect this to happen to a player,'' said Jim Eigelberger, an usher at Busch Stadium in St. Louis who has been traveling to Wrigley for Cardinals games for 22 years. Eigelberger said he had greeted Kile on Thursday and wished him good luck. ''With all that has happened this week,'' he said, ''it's been tough for the entire St. Louis organization.''

Larry Kraft of Smithton, Ill., near St. Louis, said he could not imagine anything more afflicting his beloved team this season. Wearing a red jersey and white Cards cap, Kraft spoke of Kile with reverence.

''His curveball was phenomenal,'' he said. ''It would roll off the table.''